Say_it_straight
A
The teacher shortage crisis is real. In places like Florida, the far-right turned classrooms into political battlefields, handed schools over to book banning extremists and slashed pay. The GOP have made it clear they don't respect education. #InclusionCreatesBelonging
01:02 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
In response to Say_it_straight.
Horrible, and it wasn't' good to start with in a lot of these states- the ones notorious for paying teachers a pittance, and letting anyone with a heartbeat teach- Reason: they have never valued public education, now they are trying to destroy it. It needs to change- fast.
01:19 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Say_it_straight
A
They had issues keeping teachers in AZ when I first started looking for a job many, many years ago, so I subbed for a while. I worked with 5 different districts in the Phoenix area. The largest pay was $27/day. Think the lowest was $23. I finally was hired mid first semester for a position that had
In response to Evolve Undefined.
02:01 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
1/2 So Frustrating, I hope you were better paid and valued in LA. My entire family are teachers in NYC and mostly in the suburbs where most people value public education. People who care/want to teach are paid well and good teachers are retained. I've consulted all over the US and it's
02:15 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
2/2 heartbreaking how many regions represent the opposite of this. Now those regions are trying to censor actual education and making it impossible for school staff to support the healthy development of children. Fuck the Red state politicians- they are fucking barbarians.
02:17 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Say_it_straight
A
Oh I was. Even subs were paid a lot better. It was difficult in the beginning because they didn’t want to give me credit for when I taught in AZ. One thing I’m glad I did was stick with the district. I had a pension through them & benefits continued in retirement. Most districts don’t do either.
02:26 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Say_it_straight
A
been filled by multiple substitutes until December. Of course there were no grades. I had one helluva mess to clean up, then continued teaching those classes in the Spring. And at the end of the 2nd semester I was laid off. I ended up being hired again at the same school in the Fall.
02:03 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Say_it_straight
A
So I looked for a job in CA where I ended up. In fact another district called my folks' number wanting to hire me while I was driving out with a full VW Bug of my stuff since I had accepted the job there. spent most of my teaching years in the inner city in LA.
02:05 PM - Mar 21, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}