Say_it_straight
A
The teacher shortage crisis is real. In places like Florida, the far-right turned classrooms into political battlefields, handed schools over to book banning extremists and slashed pay. The GOP have made it clear they don't respect education. #InclusionCreatesBelonging
01:02 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
In response to Say_it_straight.
Horrible, and it wasn't' good to start with in a lot of these states- the ones notorious for paying teachers a pittance, and letting anyone with a heartbeat teach- Reason: they have never valued public education, now they are trying to destroy it. It needs to change- fast.
01:19 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Say_it_straight
A
In response to Evolve Undefined.
They had issues keeping teachers in AZ when I first started looking for a job many, many years ago, so I subbed for a while. I worked with 5 different districts in the Phoenix area. The largest pay was $27/day. Think the lowest was $23. I finally was hired mid first semester for a position that had
02:01 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Say_it_straight
A
been filled by multiple substitutes until December. Of course there were no grades. I had one helluva mess to clean up, then continued teaching those classes in the Spring. And at the end of the 2nd semester I was laid off. I ended up being hired again at the same school in the Fall.
02:03 PM - Mar 21, 2024
Say_it_straight
A
So I looked for a job in CA where I ended up. In fact another district called my folks' number wanting to hire me while I was driving out with a full VW Bug of my stuff since I had accepted the job there. spent most of my teaching years in the inner city in LA.
02:05 PM - Mar 21, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}