Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
#SpoutibleBannedBookClub #ImmortalLifeTalkingPoint

What do you think of doctors/researchers/corporations making large sums of money from research involving a patient’s tissue?

#SBBC #ImmortalLife
02:53 PM - Mar 23, 2024 (Edited)
Angelique Yaich
A
In response to Spoutible Banned Book Club.
#ImmortalLife Q10
We need more Jonas Salks/Geo. Geys who want to learn more do more and live a middle class life.
Each year we see Corporate America Take over health care at the expense of the people who need it most.
rural hospitals closing urban hospital emergency rooms full. #UniversalHealthCare
02:09 PM - Mar 24, 2024
Ruth Neese
A
#SBBC #ImmortalLife

Now, any study involving tissue samples now requires a consent. Consent states donor receives no compensation. Yet corporations monetize results. I do not like that.
01:59 PM - Mar 24, 2024
Tracy I
A
On the one hand, I don’t really think donating something like a rare life threatening tumor to be studied for the good of humanity ought to be optional, but given that, any monetization should definitely compensate the subject or their estate fairly.
05:14 PM - Mar 23, 2024
A
In response to Tracy I.
It annoyed me that the original doctor didn't monetize it but someone down the line did.
05:15 PM - Mar 23, 2024
DrMHasOpinions
A
I would just like to clarify that "doctors/researchers" do not make huge or even moderate sums of money from research. The universities and drug companies make the money. That said, until this book I never knew the most common cell line used in medical research was stolen and uncompensated.
03:34 PM - Mar 23, 2024
A
In response to DrMHasOpinions.
Most don't, I was thinking of the researcher Monroe Vincent, who along with his partner monetized the HeLa cell line. I edited and added corporations to the question. Thank you!
03:46 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Deb
A
The author did a good job of showing the contrast between researchers, doctors, and patients who benefited from the research and the Lacks family who never benefited at all.
03:11 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Pam McSt
A
I think it was better before they were doing this. Freely sharing in the name of scientific research & helping people would be better for those whose cells / tissue is being used and for advances in science and medicine in general. I wish others thought like Jonas Salk did about the polio vaccine.
03:01 PM - Mar 23, 2024
A
In response to Pam McSt.
Hard agree.
03:06 PM - Mar 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}