Chris Young (he/his/him)
A
thread 1/2
Science literally means knowledge and the scientific method is a way to test ideas to see if they can be provisionally accepted as something we "know".

Belief is a stupid concept that gives the illusion that my uninformed opinion can be the arbiter of reality.

I actively avoid using that word.
Dr.XVI is the Wrong Crowd @DrXVI
Whenever someone says that they either believe or don't believe a science, I scoff at them. See, science isn't a belief system. Periodt.
08:03 PM - Mar 27, 2024
08:19 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Chris Young (he/his/him)
A
thread 2/2
"Believe" is best used as a softening modifier when making a statement.

"I believe your fly is undone, my good fellow."
08:24 PM - Mar 27, 2024
hmmwrites (Heather's version)
A
In response to Chris Young (he/his/him).
Hm. Women are socialized to soften our facts, to make them more palatable - particularly to men. Think and believe are a regular part of many women's vocabulary, even when we know we're speaking objective truth.
08:42 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Chris Young (he/his/him)
A
In response to hmmwrites (Heather's version).
That's sad and very unfair but I recognize the truth in your statement. 🙁
08:54 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Dr.XVI is the Wrong Crowd
A
In response to Chris Young (he/his/him).
I use belief all the time. I know that I can't understand all, and that there's endless possibilities. So where science is lacking, there is where belief comes in. And as a lover of stories, there are some I adore, want to believe, and do. Cultural practices and religions and chisme. I love it.
08:24 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Chris Young (he/his/him)
A
In response to Dr.XVI is the Wrong Crowd.
I understand. I'm probably overly harsh about it, being raised by a pack of god botherers. If everyone would keep beliefs to the appropriate domain things would be much better in this world.
08:29 PM - Mar 27, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}