Scarab Rose
A
Wait a minute! This is cross mammal contamination???!!! All the other human cases I am aware of came from contact with birds! ...
03:25 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
In response to Scarab Rose.
Viruses can jump from birds to people, birds to animals and animals to people. The 1917 Influenza started in pigs in the Midwest. If you don't mind being scared to death read The Great Influenza by John Barry.
03:57 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Scarab Rose
A
In response to Jennifer Moore Baker.
I keep waiting for the mutation that is going to turn this one into a human pandemic
05:57 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
It happens with pigs a lot. Othere mammals aren't common but definitely possible
03:31 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Scarab Rose
A
In response to Salma Typhii.
I know other mammals, and humans, have been getting avian flu, but I have heard it has been due to contact with birds. This is the first I am hearing of it jumping between mammal species, and seems to be a step closer to human to human transmission.
03:36 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Ground Control
A
Diseases evolve, sometimes more rapidly than other complicated lifeforms. Jumping species is far from limited to just animals to humans.
03:28 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Scarab Rose
A
In response to Ground Control.
I know, and we have been waiting for and concerned about this virus mutating to human to human contact! This seems like a step closer.
03:33 PM - Apr 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}