Russ Smith
A
thread 1/10
Bothsiderisms are almost universally incorrect - since facts, taken in the appropriate context, almost always define strong/weak positions or right/wrong scenarios. There are NOT two strong sides or two right decisions - and to think so is missing some context.
11:15 AM - Apr 04, 2024
Russ Smith
A
thread 2/10
I get that attacking a MAGA Believer (and, yes, most interactions are perceived as attacks) fails most of the time, but there ARE cracks in the armor.
Russ Smith
A
thread 3/10
My Dad was captain of his college debate team. As a teenager I was presented with things like "if you want to borrow the car, argue why you should NOT be allowed to borrow the car". That should explain how I think about things.
Russ Smith
A
thread 4/10
Here's my conundrum. Both sides (LOL) want changes that will benefit their side (and maybe weaken the other). Creating a solution that is simple, solves the problem, AND cannot be used against themselves - is an uphill battle.
Russ Smith
A
thread 5/10
Start with three questions: is the problem (real and) well defined; does the proposed solution target the problem or the context; and, would the solution solve the problem. If all three are Yes, then consider how the solution could be corrupted.
Russ Smith
A
thread 6/10
For any specific problem, I can come up with "steps in the right direction" that improve the situation - but rarely can I even propose a "solves the big problem" change that cannot be corrupted against the backing team.
Russ Smith
A
thread 7/10
This is three-, four-, and sometimes five-dimensional chess. Take problem sets like: school vouchers undermining public education creating a dumber electorate and weakening teachers' unions. Judicial procedures allowing court shopping, never-ending appeals, and partisan findings.
Russ Smith
A
thread 8/10
Legislation creating broad goal-focused agencies being undermined by disingenuous lawsuits arguing "the enabling legislation didn't SPECIFY they could use purple ink, so that's unconstitutional" - and partisan courts going along with it.
Russ Smith
A
thread 9/10
I believe Democracy is the best form of government but there really are times when I think some reasonable restrictions on voting and representation should be in place. My conundrum is I don't know how to implement such restrictions in a way that cannot be corrupted.
Russ Smith
A
thread 10/10
Honor forbids what the law allows - fails to capture the scenario when the opposing faction seemingly has no honor.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}