Karl S the Typo King
A
I will always be sad at the number of family members I’ve removed from my life, but their loss is my gain.
Milla Mélomane @Britpoptarts
Toxic family won't make amends
07:15 PM - Apr 04, 2024
09:32 PM - Apr 04, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to Karl S the Typo King.
Exactly. I sat by my dying mother's bedside, mostly ignored. When she transformed into an excited child when one staff member came in, I knew I never mattered to her, and never would. I do not miss her. At all. I miss none of the family as narcissistic as she was, removed from my life.
04:01 PM - Apr 05, 2024
Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to Ellen Leigh.
I’m sorry you had to experience that. No child should have a parent that does that.
04:11 PM - Apr 05, 2024
IMO
A
Blood may be thicker than water, but lots of things are thicker than blood.
12:32 AM - Apr 05, 2024
Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to IMO.
That reminds me, I need to molasses cookies again soon. Anyone who says you can’t choose your family is wrong, you can’t choose who you’re related to is all.
12:40 AM - Apr 05, 2024
Jeff Pilchard
A
My brother, with whom I have a distant and tenuous relationship, has always said I like my dead relatives better than the living ones, which is why I do genealogy. He's not wrong. And he's a case in point.
12:23 AM - Apr 05, 2024
Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to Jeff Pilchard.
It’s easier to like relatives that can’t ruin your perception of them by how they treat you. I do find family history fascinating though. My in-laws found out a lot about my distant relatives that were in this area.
12:32 AM - Apr 05, 2024
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
It took me some time to realize there were people related to me genetically who didn't and would never give a damn about me, and I was wasting my time trying to please them. It's why I tell others that family is made up of the people who love and respect you, not biological ties.
11:34 PM - Apr 04, 2024
Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
I wonder what it is that causes us to want to please the people who usually least deserve it. A longing for acceptance, the notion that family is supposed to be more important in ours lives? But when you stop trying, they get even more upset.
11:44 PM - Apr 04, 2024
hmmwrites (Heather's version)
A
It's sad when removing someone from your life actually adds so much good. But like you said, it's their loss. Not yours. You gained peace for yourself - and for your kids! Sometimes, that's just what we have to do...
11:24 PM - Apr 04, 2024
Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to hmmwrites (Heather's version).
Oh, I meant that more as my losing them was actually gaining something for me, but you get it, I doubt they view it as a loss, they think I’m an asshole. Which I am, just not the kind they insinuate.
11:39 PM - Apr 04, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
I am not a believer in family loyalty. If the people in your family are people you can get along with, great. If not, cut them loose.
I am glad you did what was right for your health and well-being.
10:37 PM - Apr 04, 2024
Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
I still have other family members trying to get me to reconcile, that’s not happening. I’m not going back to the way it was.
10:40 PM - Apr 04, 2024

Only followers of this user (Canyonsfan) can see their posts

Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to Inconclusive Laura®️.
I think they did in some way, at some time, but whatever life did to them, they lost it, now they don’t get another opportunity regardless of if they change or not.
10:38 PM - Apr 04, 2024
Annie Bee Good
A
It took decades for me to learn, but today I'm completely at peace at not pursuing a relationship with those who are incapable of honesty or genuine caring for me.
09:53 PM - Apr 04, 2024
Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to Annie Bee Good.
With one in particular, after they said what they said to me, I cut them out and realized how much more relaxed I was, no more worrying about what will cause them to go off on me, unfortunately those words still live in my head. Fortunately nothing new has been added since.
10:11 PM - Apr 04, 2024 (Edited)
Rosetta
A
Very sad but I have the same experience. I miss some of my siblings but my mental health is more important than a relationship with them.
09:36 PM - Apr 04, 2024
Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to Rosetta.
It’s unfortunate how many of us have gone through this
09:39 PM - Apr 04, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to Rosetta.
But do you miss them, or do you miss the relationship you should have had? I miss my younger brother who died, but I do not miss the one who didn't die who has abused me my entire life. I regret that because of that, we have no relationship at all now. And never will.
04:06 PM - Apr 05, 2024
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}