Farrah Fazal
A
THREAD: A few hours ago, rescuers in Aleppo, Syria found a pregnant woman buried under the rubble. The earthquake caved her in. While she was under the rubble, she gave birth to her baby. This picture is a rescuer running the newborn baby to safety. He was breathing. He was alive. 1/
09:10 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Farrah Fazal
A
His mother died after he was born.
She took her last breath…still buried.

I covered the war in Syria in it’s most violent year. A corrupt, authoritarian government, supported by Russia bombed, chemically attacked, tortured and murdered its own people. 2/
In response to Farrah Fazal.
09:15 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Kathryn
A
This story. OMG it is so unbelievably tragic. Prayers for Turkey & Syria. 🙏
11:51 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Squiggly Lines
A
That’s not a miracle, that’s a hideous tragedy. I’m happy the baby survived, but his badass mom is the one who gave her life bringing them into the world. Not some benevolent force doing something miraculous.
10:05 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Farrah Fazal
A
In response to Squiggly Lines.
She was a SHERO.
10:22 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Jess Martin
A
He was meant to live… 💔
09:56 PM - Feb 06, 2023
A.C. Berryhill
A
Oh my heart! I cannot even begin to imagine the strength that must have required of her. May her soul continue to watch over her little one.
09:19 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Farrah Fazal
A
In response to A.C. Berryhill.
I am immensely awed by the human spirit. I echo your wish for her and her baby. 🙏🏽
09:33 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Farrah Fazal
A
Millions of Syrians lost family members, homes, lives.

That war continued even as the earthquake shattered Syrian and Turkish lives in these last 24 hours. Russian soldiers are in Syria helping with rescue efforts in one part of Syria, while bombing other parts of Syria right now. 3/
09:18 PM - Feb 06, 2023
Farrah Fazal
A
Four million Syrians are displaced from their displacement. Their refugee camps are destroyed. Their loved ones are buried under the rubble. They have no where else to go tonight. They have no where else to go.

The sheer cruelty Syrians have endured these last several years is endless. 4/
09:20 PM - Feb 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}