Deb Montague
A
thread 1/7
Home after a visit with my daughter in Syracuse, NY. 3 photos from the eclipse which, conveniently, went right over her house. #solareclipse #1 -Cloudy. We had difficulty, when using our glasses, in finding the sun. I was able to find it by looking at the reflection in the glass of her patio table.
12:25 PM - Apr 10, 2024
Deb Montague
A
thread 2/7
This is totality.
I don't quite have the words to express how amazing this was. The clouds parted and we were able to watch it go to totality and then be in totality for the full time where she was; 1 minute 35 seconds.
It got COLD. I wasn't prepared for how cold it got. It was 63 when we went
Deb Montague
A
thread 3/7
outside on the deck. The temperature dropped to 49 at totality.
We heard mourning doves, which aren't out, usually, at 3:00 p.m. The other birds continued to sing until 3:20 and then quit. Totality for her was 3:23-3:24.5.
Neighbors with outdoor lighting had their lights come on. That was crazy.
Deb Montague
A
thread 4/7
Streat lights also came on.
Neighbors had music blaring. "House of the Rising Sun" was heard a lot. One guy played "Final Countdown," which got a hearty laugh. I heard George Harrison's "Hear Comes the Sun." Didn't hear "Total Eclipse of the Heart," but they might have played it and we missed it.
Deb Montague
A
thread 5/7
The really wild thing was the horizon. It was akin to sunset, except I don't think it gets quite so cold so fast, at sunset. It was that dark for about 2 minutes. Our phones kept trying to correct the lighting.
Having experienced this, we could imagine what early humans must have thought. It took
Deb Montague
A
thread 6/7
Johannes Kepler to figure out what was going on. Since these happen so rarely, the fact that we have the myths of what other people thought is amazing. My daughter has a degree in anthropology and remembered the name of the snake the Aztecs thought was devouring the sun.
I'm very grateful and awed
Deb Montague
A
thread 7/7
at experiencing this. Now to package up the glasses we didn't use and ship them to
Astronomers Without Borders
26500 W. Agoura Rd.
Suite 102-618
Calabasas, CA 91302
#eclipsephotography #eclipseglasses #solareclipse

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}