Carrie, like the movie
A
A pressing issue in my house at the moment. A bird has made a nest on our front porch. My husband wants to move it because there aren’t any eggs in it yet. Any advice? #DailyPictureTheme #Press #BirdsOfSpoutible
04:35 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Grumpy Introvert
A
In response to Carrie, like the movie.
Three years ago a pair of House sparrows insisted on building a nest on our front porch. We tore the nest down multiple times, then just gave up. They didn’t make a mess and were good little tenants. We named them the Wilsons and look forward to seeing their nest go up each spring.
09:49 PM - Apr 12, 2024 (Edited)
Carrie, like the movie
A
In response to Grumpy Introvert.
I love that
09:56 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Peggy Stuart #FirstWave
A
One of our happy memories was having a nest of swallows in one corner of our front porch. We went in and out through our garage until they left. We watched from our Living Room as the babies grew up and then we watched the mother teach them to fly from our porch. Priceless!
09:30 PM - Apr 12, 2024
LOR MAC
A
I'd leave the nest. Birds need all the help they can get these days.
09:05 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Diana Raabe
A
If there aren’t any eggs yet, they might have found a more desirable location. Have you seen any birds near the nest?
06:59 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Carrie, like the movie
A
In response to Diana Raabe.
I haven’t but I was asleep during the day. I hope they come back
07:51 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Demosthenes
A
We had some doves nest in a hanging plant once. They eventually stopped flying away when we came out on the porch, once they realized we wouldn't harm them. It was a learning experience, for instance we learned both parents would take shifts laying on the eggs while the other one was out feeding.
06:26 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Jack Jeng
A
If you touch it, most likely they would just feel invaded and abandon the nest entirely. Let the birds do their architecture. They do usually know what they are doing.
06:08 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Carrie, like the movie
A
In response to Jack Jeng.
Agree. Someone else said something similar and I let my husband know. Thanks! I knew I could count on the kind people of Spoutible to help sort things out! The birds didn’t necessarily find the quietest house on the street, but we are looking forward to watching them grow 😊
06:13 PM - Apr 12, 2024
TheQuietOne
A
We've hosted bird nests before. It's really quite fun.
05:57 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Nellie Pennington
A
We often have birds nest under our 2nd floor porch at school. We've taken to hooking up a remote camera so the kids can see. It's so exciting when the eggs hatch!

If you could figure out a camera setup now, before eggs, that would be ideal.

(And yes, you may have some bird poop cleanup ahead.)
05:14 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Carrie, like the movie
A
In response to Nellie Pennington.
My husband said no to the camera and I’m not very good at setting that kind of stuff up. He said he wasn’t going be the one cleaning up bird poop and I said that was fine and that i would do it
05:40 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Lipsticktraces
B
I've always loved when birds have trusted me enough to live in our space together. I really enjoy watching the babies grow and fly off. It's one of life's best pleasures.
04:56 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Carrie, like the movie
A
In response to Lipsticktraces.
Right? Out of all of the places they could build their nest, they chose us! I also really love the long flow-y bit in the front. Adds a lot of character
04:58 PM - Apr 12, 2024
THEE Ruby Gandy Biffle ??
A
We’ve got two, one on the light at the entryway of our home. We just leave them there and if there are babies in them we just move our chairs into the yard and sit there. Live and let live!
04:50 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Whoa!
A
Personally, I'd probably leave a nest like that. We took over their habitat, not vice versa. On the other hand, a woodpecker decided the side of my house near the eave was a good place for a nest (pecked a hole in my siding and the wood behind it). I had to convince him otherwise.
04:49 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Carrie, like the movie
A
In response to Whoa!.
Agree
04:52 PM - Apr 12, 2024

Only followers of this user (FalseProphet) can see their posts

Nancy M
A
Maybe they haven't laid the eggs yet. I vote to leave it... It's the perfect place (warm, snug, dry)
04:39 PM - Apr 12, 2024
Carrie, like the movie
A
In response to Nancy M.
My thought was to leave it as well. Science on our front porch! The kids would love to get to see that.
04:42 PM - Apr 12, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}