Stephen Spoonamore
A
thread 1/4
Yup. #thomasjefferson 's public comments on his open-secret partner #SallyHeming + their four children was all "woah-is-me-to-be-gossiped-bout" gaslighting. During his re-election to a 2nd term the press (and printed cartoons) became really rank, but he DID do, the core acts. And denied in public.
O Aguabonita @oaguabonita
12:22 PM - Apr 15, 2024
02:17 PM - Apr 15, 2024
Stephen Spoonamore
A
thread 2/4
TJ, a 39yo widower pre-president. Sally, his late-wifes 16yo Quatroon (legal term) half sister + his daughter's lady's maid TJ's father in law, widower, had fathered her. Sally+TJ were together til death.Traveled together. Entertained together. Freed her. BITD bohemian, progressive and scandalous.
10:16 AM - Apr 16, 2024
Stephen Spoonamore
A
thread 3/4
Data Point. By law, VA Slave Holder recorded births in a ledger and owned registered children of owned female slaves. TJ also always noted the father and lineage of each child. But not for Sally's Children. Parentage is left blank only for hers. All of those children were freed with stipends.
10:19 AM - Apr 16, 2024
Stephen Spoonamore
A
thread 4/4
Sally was a beauty by all accounts, and "almost white" her children appear to have all made their way in the world as passing white. And Sally herself, after TJs death moved in with her daughter, and was accepted in white society as a dowager mother figure. We are all products of complexity.
10:22 AM - Apr 16, 2024
Jacqueline Wallace
A
In response to Stephen Spoonamore.
Facts in evidence as well as DNA. 🧬
11:32 AM - Apr 18, 2024
Mrs Nobody
A
I love YYZ's reply to Ivanka! Made my day. Thank you for posting it.
11:30 AM - Apr 18, 2024
Jacqueline Wallace
A
In response to Mrs Nobody.
It was really good. And a lot like ole Thomas himself
11:34 AM - Apr 18, 2024
Bitter Scribe
A
𝗗𝗘𝗙𝗔𝗠𝗘, 𝙫.𝙩. To lie about another. To tell the truth about another.
--Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
10:59 PM - Apr 17, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}