(laura) elsen
A
meet jack ryan, a man whose life is self-described as sufficiently complicated by loving his wife and children, holding down a desk job, and being independently wealthy.
(laura) elsen @eilsen_baddie
luckily he has way less complicated things to do here, like single-handedly craft a plan to decieve the entire russian navy and flawlessly steer the world's largest nuclear submarine in combat conditions despite zero training.
12:50 PM - Apr 18, 2024
12:51 PM - Apr 18, 2024
Socio-gen
A
10 years ago, I had a reviewer of my senior thesis on feminist and sociological themes in paranormal romance tell me "romance novels are the absurd, unrealistic fantasies of women."

I asked him what he thought Tom Clancy novels were, if not the absurd unrealistic fantasies of men.
In response to (laura) elsen.
01:34 PM - Apr 18, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
In response to Socio-gen.
👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽that’s called defending your thesis !! Interesting how easy it was for him to “play” a misogynistic asshole 😂🤣 I’m glad he liked your thesis though.
07:11 PM - Apr 18, 2024
Socio-gen
A
In response to Evolve Undefined.
He definitely put me on the defensive! As much as it sucked (and I hate it still), I'm still very proud of myself for holding up well and making my points.
07:16 PM - Apr 18, 2024
Governor McCheese
A
Oh please tell me what his response was.
04:24 PM - Apr 18, 2024
Socio-gen
A
In response to Governor McCheese.
He spluttered a bit while my other two reviewers laughed at him.

In the end, he actually gave me the highest marks of the three and later confessed he loved my entire analysis. He just likes playing "the asshole" to force people to defend their work.
06:48 PM - Apr 18, 2024
(laura) elsen
A
lmao, exactly! it's the military version of the same sort of "i can kick/throw a ball equally as well as a professional player" magical thinking. in that way tom clancy is very much a romance writer.
03:42 PM - Apr 18, 2024
Socio-gen
A
In response to (laura) elsen.
Now, I'd argue that while romance IS fantasy, it's grounded in an attainable every day experience -- meeting someone, falling in love, building a fulfilling emotional relationship.

Whereas Tom Clancy et al peddle a fantasy that even actual SEALs (and such) would be hard-pressed to achieve.
07:03 PM - Apr 18, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}