George Steffanos
A
thread 1/7
October 1, 1983: After crossing Pollywog Stream on a logging road bridge, the AT proceeded to Rainbow Stream, which it followed for a good distance upstream, passing a long series
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #maine #nature #forest #stream #AppalachianTrail
09:14 AM - Apr 19, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/7
of cascades and small waterfalls in the boulder-strewn shallow waters. About two miles into this stretch I arrived at Rainbow Stream Lean-to, where I took my first real break of the day. I had eight miles under my belt and had climbed the second-to-the-last mountain on the Appalachian Trail.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/7
I kicked back for a half-hour. When I set out again, I crossed Rainbow Stream and followed the opposite bank past the three Rainbow Deadwaters. These were small pond-like stretches, along which the stream widened, and the current became very still.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/7
The scenic qualities of the lake country have been a pleasant surprise.

The shallow, rocky stream widened and deepened, becoming a placid channel wandering through an extensive freshwater marsh filled with water grasses teaming with birds and small creatures.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/7
Eventually, the Appalachian Trail came out on a grassy stretch of the southwest shore of Rainbow Lake. The haze of the morning had cleared, and across the lake there was an absolutely fantastic view of Katahdin's massive profile.
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/7
The trail followed on or near the shore of the enormous lake for the next five miles. At the far end of the lake, the Appalachian Trail climbed a ridge known as the Rainbow Ledges. A large burned-over area near the top had good views. Katahdin seemed almost close enough to touch.
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/7
So did the thick, black clouds drifting sullenly across the sky. My one remaining hope is that it rains tomorrow and gets it over with before Monday.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffano...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}