Matlock
A
thread 1/18
Okay, I did the silly :3 post, time for the serious one. If you're a new refugee from #Post , welcome to #Spoutible ! Here are some real tips on how to navigate this place. This won't cover everything, just the stuff I, personally, care about. Share for reach, obvi
01:37 PM - Apr 19, 2024
Matlock
A
thread 2/18
1. Spoutible has the highest engagement of any social media site. This is because you have to engage to get anywhere around here.

If you want to just post your blog, promote your brand or merch, and blast your hot takes, that's fine - but most of us will ignore you.
Matlock
A
thread 3/18
Spoutible users are overwhelmingly suspicious of "Wise Old Man In The Cave" kind of users - the ones who never follow anyone or interact with anyone else, but pop in now and again to post their super smart thoughts.
Matlock
A
thread 4/18
Not to say you can't ever post your hot take and duck out, but the people here generally want to interact with you. You're our equals. You are not our dad and we don't have to listen to you if we don't want. But we will if you're friendly and you talk back to us.
Matlock
A
thread 5/18
Interaction means different things to different people. I am not the shining example of someone who interacts with people on here, but I make sure to read replies and at least acknowledge them, as well as reply to other posts I like. You know, be a person.
Matlock
A
thread 6/18
2. Spoutible has many, many options for protecting you. Use them.

If you come across someone being mean to you, or just posting stuff you don't like, block or mute or whatever. You can even delete replies to your posts, something I *strongly* encourage if you get trouble in your mentions.
Matlock
A
thread 7/18
Spoutible does not have a huge troll/hate mob but we get the occasional folks running along the beach to kick down everyone's sand castles, so to speak. Preemptive protection is better than reactive.
Matlock
A
thread 8/18
All accounts on Spoutible are automatically registered with Bot Sentinel, which is designed to protect you from malicious accounts, trolls, and hate groups. Here's the help page about Bot Sentinel if you're curious:
Matlock
A
thread 9/18
I strongly recommend preventing replies from folks with a "D" rating. After that, do what you like. In your "Account Settings," go to "Enhanced Protection" and fine tune to your heart's content.
Matlock
A
thread 10/18
3. Spoutible is barely a year old and is still growing and changing. The fact we have more features than anyone else is incredible. But it does mean there are still some features yet to be included, as well as features that go buggy. Do not panic, and do NOT call the manager.
Matlock
A
thread 11/18
I don't know what it is about the Spoutible demographic - perhaps the #FirstWave people are just overwhelmingly Gen Xers, the ultimate "Can I Speak To Your Manager" generation - but any time there's a problem, people looooove to tag Christopher Bouzy personally and complain. Do not do this.
Matlock
A
thread 12/18
Complaining is fine. I do it all the time. I'm just not going to tag the boss like he's my personal attendant. If there's a bug, I'll report it by clicking the "Help" button, and then "Submit a Ticket." Or maybe I'll just whine to the void.
Matlock
A
thread 13/18
Tagging the CEO every time you don't like something is not only cringe, but it will bring down the wrath of everyone else on this website, and we will point and laugh at you.
Matlock
A
thread 14/18
4. Be yourself

Seems like a no-brainer, but I think social media generally has trained people to be extremely fake and performative online. This isn't Instagram. You don't have to post pics about how cool you are. We don't even like that. We don't like influencers.
Matlock
A
thread 15/18
Post about what you, personally, are into. It might not garner a lot of attention at first, but eventually you will find the other people who are also into that and create a little community here. It's okay if that's a small community. There are no prizes for amassing a large following.
Matlock
A
thread 16/18
In fact, we tend to be suspicious of accounts that farm followers in some regard. This is NOT the place to build your brand. Posting your creations is fine, but if all you do is post your branded content you are going to be disappointed with how little we care.
Matlock
A
thread 17/18
You might also be tempted to only post what you see is getting clicks. Don't bother. We already have like a thousand "cringe liberal posting weak anti-trump memes" accounts. Find something unique to you that you love rather than easy hate memes.
Matlock
A
thread 18/18
That's all I really want to say at this time. Of course there's more and I'm sure there are plenty of other accounts with similar threads right now. Anyway, welcome #Post users! I hope Spoutible is a good home for you.
Jack Jeng
A
In response to Matlock.
As a fairly recent spouter, I find this thread very helpful. Thank you.
02:10 PM - Apr 19, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}