Marilu
A
I am open-minded & inquisitive. Raised protestant, Mom took me to Mass & taught tolerance & acceptance. We visited sacred places, like the Wailing Wall & Temple Mount. I joined an online atheist group with questions; they asked me to leave! Why do some nonbelievers HATE believers? I don't understand
12:37 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Bella_Gee
A
In response to Marilu.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
01:26 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Marilu
A
In response to Bella_Gee.
Yeah, that's NOT me! Live and let live is my motto. I don't want your religion anymore than you want mine. 🙃
01:30 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Socio-gen
A
In response to Marilu.
Atheist here. It may simply depend on the type of atheist group. Some are less flexible (they would say enabling) regarding religious belief. Some prefer not to focus their energies and discussions on answering the same old questions. In others, members may have traumatic histories with religion.
01:23 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Socio-gen
A
In response to Socio-gen.
For myself, I'm open to honest questioning, but I can usually tell fairly quickly when someone is expecting to earn brownie points for talking to the heathens (or being "open-minded"), versus someone who has genuine interest and makes no judgements in their inquiries.
01:27 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
In response to Marilu.
If I were to hazard some guesses:
1. They found your questions insincere.
2. You did not abide by the rules of the group.
3. You "devil's advocated" your way into being invited to leave.
4. You joined the environment seeking to change the environment.

What made you describe it as "hate?"
01:04 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Marilu
A
In response to Isa-Lee Wolf.
A: 1-3 - no, I was honest. A: 4 - because of the vile remarks mocking and ridiculing anyone so stupid as to believe in fairy tales. I've met a lot of wonderful people in my travels who are superstitious or value traditions. I don't mock or demean them. ❣️
01:11 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Dıanna
A
In response to Marilu.
You were raised Protestant but went to mass? That's a Catholic term 🤔
12:44 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Marilu
A
In response to Dıanna.
Yes, but not regularly, only to introduce me to other religious beliefs and traditions. That was the point, not to grow up in a silo or eggshell. She wanted me to learn about the whole world. She was a teacher.
12:48 PM - Apr 21, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}