Dan Henry
A
thread 1/5
I am white. I am male. I am straight. I am cis. I am healthy. I am in every way possible the stereotypical American from the 1950s. I enjoy every single privilege available to anyone in America (except maybe that I don't belong to the Christian religion).
07:14 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Dan Henry
A
thread 2/5
Even in the realm of luck & personal choices ... I have never had a serious illness or accident. I have never had a divorce. My children made it to adulthood without serious problems. I've never had an addiction. I've never been laid off. My house has never burned down.
Dan Henry
A
thread 3/5
I did not do most of that. I got lucky. I am so incredibly fortunate.

And the country that gave me all these privileges? That country takes away privileges from others. It denies opportunities to racial minorities. It denies rights to LGBTQ people. It was stolen from Indigenous People.
Dan Henry
A
thread 4/5
My family wealth accumulated and was passed down because I am white. I have benefitted from the system that has harmed others. I have succeeded in a system that handicaps others. And yes, I damn well do feel guilt over that, because I am a moral being.

That's why I'm a liberal.
Dan Henry
A
thread 5/5
That's why I'm a Democrat. That's why I'm woke. That's why I have a responsibility to help others.

And I'll be goddamned if some ignorant, belligerent, butthurt conservatives are going to take away my right to pay the debt I owe to others. They can fuck themselves.
Mike Taylor ??
A
In response to Dan Henry.
With ya.
06:22 PM - Apr 22, 2024
Whale World! Party Time! Excellent!
A
In response to Dan Henry.
Regarding the religion issue: I think because of your other attributes, you are probably PERCEIVED to be Christian, unless you wear a star of David, yarmulke, or some other non-Christian religious symbol. Hence you would still get the privilege associated to that.
10:57 AM - Apr 22, 2024
Dan Henry
A
In response to Whale World! Party Time! Excellent!.
That's an excellent point. I do have to affirmatively identify as an atheist in order for that lack of privilege to have any impact.
11:01 AM - Apr 22, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}