George Steffanos
A
thread 1/6
October 2, 1983: A side trail brought me to Big Niagara Falls (no, the other one). The falls were not enormous (no, that’s the other one), but they were impressive enough, and quite scenic.
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #Maine #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
09:28 AM - Apr 23, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/6
A roaring stream churned through massive rock formations in a lively series of flumes and cascades between forested banks teeming with maples.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/6
Little Niagara Falls (no...) were pretty, too, and at the top of the cascades the woods opened up for a close-up view of Katahdin. I got one of those bits of brief clearing here at just the right time, although the bottoms of the rain clouds were scudding across Baxter Peak.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/6
After a beautiful walk past several wild ponds, I arrived at Katahdin Stream. Far across the last pond, I spotted two more moose, bringing my total for the trip up to seven. A male and a female were having a drink together before a night of passion.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/6
It was good to see that somebody was getting some.

For some reason, the ranger had reserved for me one of the campground’s largest lean-tos.
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/6
As big as most Appalachian Trail shelters, it was almost like having one last lean-to all to myself — a fitting conclusion to this odyssey.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffano...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}