Chris Young (he/his/him)
A
Hear, hear!

I was thinking earlier that if I assaulted police officers, vandalized and forcibly broke into the capitol building and presented such a threat that members of Congress had to be whisked away, I'd expect to do HARD time. Like life.

I sincerely don't get it.
Sarah Apfel @apfel_sarah
Not nearly long enough for this piece of shit. In fact, ALL the January 6th traitors should serve at LEAST the length of the Civil War - 4 years, 1 month, & 2 weeks - for the historical symmetry, if nothing else.
12:52 PM - Apr 23, 2024
01:10 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Whoa!
A
In response to Chris Young (he/his/him).
I'd recommend reading this.
https://terikanefield.com/...
01:12 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Sarah Apfel
A
In response to Whoa!.
Thanks for this. I do understand why prosecutions have been taking so long, but I'll never understand or accept why some of the sentences are so light.
01:35 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Whoa!
A
Judges have some discretion, but they have to follow sentencing guidelines. Usually first offenders get lighter sentences than repeat offenders. The character of the defendant can have an impact as well as the nature of the crimes and harm to society. Bias can also be an issue.
In response to Sarah Apfel.
01:40 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Chris Young (he/his/him)
A
In response to Whoa!.
I understand and agree with all of the protections in criminal law. And I haven't sat in any of the trials.

All in all, I'm not a big "tough on crime" kind of guy, so it feels strange to be arguing on the other side. But somehow the optics feel wrong. Try to overthrow the govt? Sure, 2 years.
02:33 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Whoa!
A
Most of the people charged with crimes on J6 received charges for crimes such as disturbing the peace, unlawful entry, etc. a handful have assault or battery charges. 2 yrs seems pretty typical for first timers for battery. Proud Boys and Oath Keepers Leaders got much longer sentences.
03:18 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Whoa!
A
The prosecutors have to be able to prove intent.
03:18 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Sarah Apfel
A
In response to Whoa!.
Fair enough, but I'll still die mad about it!
01:41 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Whoa!
A
In response to Sarah Apfel.
I'm mad, too. I'd like to see them all rot in prison, but the law is supposed to be impartial and unmotivated by emotion.
01:43 PM - Apr 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}