Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 1/4
All the talk about medical screenings on my timeline today reminds me of why I go do what the doctor says. In 2017 I went to the doctor for a physical for the first time in probably over a decade. I had lost 45 pounds (on purpose, in a safe amount of time) and my blood pressure did not decrease.
01:18 PM - Apr 24, 2024
Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 2/4
So I knew I needed blood pressure medicine. But on the physical the doctor said "you have a mass in your abdomen." Which is a fucking scary thing to hear. She sent me for an emergency CT scan the very next day. Turned out the mass was on my uterus and the gynecologist I followed up with...
Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 3/4
...confirmed it was a fibroid (and that I had another fibroid). I had to get a hysterectomy because it was so big it was pressing on other organs and I was in danger of having flow from kidneys to bladder cut off.
Sneaky Burrito
A
thread 4/4
So anyway, I was one of those people with a 16 cm mass in my abdomen who had no idea. Never believed you could be unaware of such a thing until it happened to me. But that experience kind of frightened me. I am 46 and I did have my colonoscopy last year (was normal). Next mammogram is Monday.
Melinda Nowikowski
A
In response to Sneaky Burrito.
I get all mine at the recommended intervals, except I didn't in 2020. Mom had a hysterectomy because of multiple fibroids, back in the '70s. I had one removed bcs of location, OB/GYN said I should wait on the rest - I was over 50, and after menopause, they'd shrink. He was right.
08:54 PM - Apr 24, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}