Avri
A
thread 1/6
My first job out of university was at a comic book store in Brighton

My first job back in NYC was managing the legendary St. Mark's Comics in the East Village

My favorite is Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo's The Enigma

(The *best* however? That's Terry Moore's Motor Girl)

#SpoutAbout #Books
Drea @DreaVilleneuve
Q1: Do you read graphic novels or comic books? Tell us about your favourite. #SpoutAbout #Books
09:18 PM - Apr 24, 2024
09:59 PM - Apr 24, 2024
Avri
A
thread 2/6
My review:

"It's like the perennial battle between good and evil but no one can quite work out which is which anymore, and most people don't even know what perennial means."
10:04 PM - Apr 24, 2024
Avri
A
thread 3/6
Enigma was not quite the start of my comics journey. It was, however, the start of my obsession with the medium, the start of my torrid love affair that landed me in comics retail immediately out of college, and comics fandom ever after.
10:04 PM - Apr 24, 2024
Avri
A
thread 4/6
At the time it blew my mind with its fourth-wall breaking, its self-reference, its gradual reveals. Peter Milligan has a great deal to answer for in leading me to my passion for meta over everything else, and away from traditional superhero stories . . .
10:05 PM - Apr 24, 2024
Avri
A
thread 5/6
Rereading Enigma in this gorgeous new edition - three decades after first following Michael Smith into a bathroom stall, probably a couple of years (and one global pandemic) removed from my last time revisiting the first edition collection - everything still lands.
10:06 PM - Apr 24, 2024
Avri
A
thread 6/6
Every snide aside, every narrated zinger, every expression on the faces rendered so perfectly by Fegredo
10:06 PM - Apr 24, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}