George Steffanos
A
thread 1/8
September 22, 1983: The ascent of Little Bigelow was gradual and the new trail well laid-out. The AT reached the ridgeline of the mountain and traversed a series of rocky knobs, several of which had open ledges.
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #Maine #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
08:31 AM - Apr 25, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/8
The sun had finally broken through, the day had turned clear and beautiful. The haze was gone from the air, replaced by a crisp hint of chill. An arc of mountains stretching from Bigelow to Saddleback coiled behind me. Ahead and to my right and left unfolded miles of relatively flat lake country.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/8
A different kind of pretty countryside lay ahead on the Appalachian Trail, a change of pace from the mountain landscapes and a chance to pick up the pace after the rugged peaks and arduous trails of southwest Maine.

But before that I had one last great mountain to traverse.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/8
It had turned into a perfect autumn day, and there were constant viewpoints along the crest of Little Bigelow. Time and again I was able to in a single view see all the magnificent mountains I had climbed today and over the previous three days.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/8
And think back to the impressive variety of weather conditions they had delivered. There were also constantly evolving views of the lowlands ahead, with enormous lakes reflecting the autumn sky and lots of relatively flat country and much lower ridges.
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/8
In addition to the nice views, the ridge crest of Little Bigelow was interesting in itself. Lots of fascinating rock formations and trees built to withstand the wind and cold.
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/8
Although significantly smaller than the giants I had been traversing for days, the summit of Little Bigelow had been almost three thousand feet. As I walked along, the ridge gradually diminished, its crest reaching towards the low country.
George Steffanos
A
thread 8/8
Eventually a long, narrow finger of Flagstaff Lake began to dominate the view ahead as I descended towards it.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffano...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}