The Reluctant Townie
A
thread 1/8
A reason I'm devoting effort to understand the younger generation in America is because I think a great deal about the expanding population 60+ that's living longer. Opposite ends of an age distribution. Is there generational acrimony? Do they view me as a partner or a drain on their future?
06:18 AM - Apr 26, 2024
The Reluctant Townie
A
thread 2/8
A person a pre-teen on 9/11 is mid 30's now. Theoretically at the point where they have a well established career as they head into their most productive years. (I view 9/11 as an inflection point where many of the events that followed are impacting events today.) Do many have such careers?
06:22 AM - Apr 26, 2024
The Reluctant Townie
A
thread 3/8
They were shaped by the events they encountered along their journey up until now. The people in college now are being and will continue to be shaped by events. They will all have a different 'memory' than I have. Does that join us together or drive us apart?
06:24 AM - Apr 26, 2024
The Reluctant Townie
A
thread 4/8
I had dinner with my son and some of his friends last night. 4 hours of complex, sometimes heated, conversation. My son got mad at me. "You helped start this mess!" Anger. That's a most basic emotion. How much anger is there? How is the anger released?
06:27 AM - Apr 26, 2024
The Reluctant Townie
A
thread 5/8
We somewhat reconciled, but I don't want to lose time with him as he leaves NY at the end of June. He isn't angry out of malice, it's more that everything, all the time, everywhere is overwhelming.
06:29 AM - Apr 26, 2024
The Reluctant Townie
A
thread 6/8
Will the stress the younger folk endure further fray our social contract, as flawed and full of holes as it is? I don't know. That scares me though. America is experienced very unevenly.
06:30 AM - Apr 26, 2024
The Reluctant Townie
A
thread 7/8
I apologize for interjecting on the protests yesterday. No more visits to campuses going forward. In the future I'm dialing back political and war related opinions and moving toward hopefully lighter content interspersed with news link I find interesting that might otherwise be missed. Plus cats.
06:33 AM - Apr 26, 2024
The Reluctant Townie
A
thread 8/8
Now off to work to learn new things. Have as best a weekend as you can possibly have.
06:34 AM - Apr 26, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}