George Steffanos
A
thread 1/7
September 22, 1983: Morning emerged reluctantly from the murk, leaking a cold, bleak light through the persisting deluge. I glanced outside, rolled over, and slept in until 8:30.
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #Maine #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
08:47 AM - Apr 26, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/7
By that time, the rain had tapered off to a steady drizzle. It was chilly and dank as I made my breakfast and prepared to depart, but the storm clouds were gradually dissipating. A good, steady breeze was blowing, rapidly drying out the leaves and brush.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/7
I did not even need my rain gear when I left the shelter at 10:15. It remained overcast, but the ceiling had lifted well above the mountain.

Avery Peak sported an extensive alpine area on and around the summit, an old wooden fire tower and a spectacular panoramic view.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/7
On extremely clear days, Katahdin can be seen in the distance, but today was not such a day. That was disappointing, but forecasts had called for an all-day rain, so I was not complaining. The air was dry and comfortable, and the sun was even trying to burn through the overcast.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/7
I also had a breathtaking view of Flagstaff Lake, an enormous, sprawling, 11-mile-long expanse of water in the valley below. Beside that ran the long arc of Little Bigelow Mountain, my next adventure.
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/7
A new trail relocation covered the descent from Bigelow and the climb up Little Bigelow. The footway was deadly after last night’s heavy rains. It had not yet become compacted from hiking traffic; pieces kept breaking off and sliding away, taking my feet with them.
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/7
I took another Maine back flip on the way down.

From my book Then the Hail Came (A Humorous and Truthful Account of a 1983 #AppalachianTrail Thru-hike). Available in paperback, audiobook and eBook: https://amazon.com/dp/B09Q...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}