M Kaz
A
thread 1/3
On day 1 of law school, we learned that anything a court ruling says beyond what is necessary to resolve the case is "dicta," meaning not part of the judgment and can't be cited as precedent. So why do these SCOTUS "conservatives" keep cramming opinions with dicta, like Thomas's stuff in Dodd about
12:33 PM - Apr 26, 2024
M Kaz
A
thread 2/3
how contraception can be attacked next and, based on his questioning, Alito's plan to issue an opinion that is a rulebook on presidential immunity rather than just address the actual charges against Trump? It's the epitome of judicial activism, but also I think it's being used as a none-too-subtle
M Kaz
A
thread 3/3
message to MAGA legislators and judges about how far they can push things. This SCOTUS behavior is so far beyond the pale, it makes me wonder how law schools can teach anymore. What do you tell students now?
Mlb Anx
A
In response to M Kaz.
The extreme court is demonstrating in real time what absolute immunity looks like at the highest level of a branch of government. There is no pretense of following the law because “what are we going to do about it if they don’t.” Appalling doesn't capture it I have no words.
01:56 PM - Apr 29, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}