jenn ○f many things
A
thread 1/2
Does anyone else feel a strong pull to be in a forest? Every time I pass one, I feel it pulling at me. Especially if a creek or river is near. Now, I just have to get over my fear of the many predators in Alaskan forests and go for it. I see people jogging with earbuds & no bear spray all the time.
04:24 PM - Apr 26, 2024
jenn ○f many things
A
thread 2/2
I think they are crazy. They are running, which sets off a predators hunting instinct, they can't hear a predator coming, and they have no defense! And yet, people do it every day here... and none of them get mauled. I think I would be much safer than them. And far less nuts.
04:24 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
Just b/c ppl are doing multiple stupid things at once and getting away with it, doesn't mean it's smart

People who really understand risk know the difference between getting away with something (i.e., Pure Dumb Luck) vs using knowledge, technology, skill, & planning to mitigate risk

Luck runs out
In response to jenn ○f many things.
05:56 PM - Apr 26, 2024
jenn ○f many things
A
In response to Jim Plunkett.
There is a woman, a retired biology professor, who goes in the park by herself to set up wildlife cams. Sometimes, she cannot get to them because there are too many brown bears around. I'd like to befriend her and go with her a time or two. She knows what she's doing.
06:13 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
In response to jenn ○f many things.
Yes, I read it can depend the time of year (e.g., when they are less hungry?)

OFC, there was also the guy who made a living for a while living among and filming bears. He seemed to know what he was doing. Until he and his GF got eaten, on audio.

Pure Dumb Luck is great while it lasts
07:09 PM - Apr 26, 2024
jenn ○f many things
A
In response to Jim Plunkett.
The worst is when I see a tiny woman in spandex with one of those running strollers. I always think, "How nice of you to bring the bears a snack!" 😱
06:07 PM - Apr 26, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}