George Steffanos
A
thread 1/14
September 13, 1983: The Appalachian Trail descended alongside Moss Pond's outlet brook to Gentian Pond. A trail shelter was perched atop a small ridge flanked by the pond on one side and
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #NewHampshire #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
09:05 AM - Apr 27, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/14
another great view to the south on the other. I caught up to a couple of guys there — the first people I had encountered since leaving Gorham.

Past the shelter, the Appalachian Trail assumed the level of difficulty which I had expected to find in the Mahoosucs.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/14
A near-vertical ascent of smooth rock ledges was followed by an abrupt plunge into a col. I struggled over a couple of rugged knobs and commenced a long, grueling climb up Mount Success. The air remained chilly, but I was sweating up a storm.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/14
The footway was a twisted mass of loose rocks and tree roots, topsoil eroded away down to the bedrock. Many stretches almost required a human fly. I rubbed my two front legs together, folded back my wings, and crawled to the top.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/14
Insect Boy was rewarded with about a quarter-mile of open ridge walk with constant 360-degree views, following which the Appalachian Trail dropped steeply into a deep col, climbed over the tip of a knob and descended into a shallower col.
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/14
At the bottom of that short, steep descent, I was greeted by a trail sign marking the last state line to be crossed on this journey. I was beginning the final 279.5 miles — the Maine miles — to Katahdin.
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/14
The Appalachian Trail climbed over a knob, descended steeply into a high pass called Carlo Col, and ascended just as steeply to the summit of Mount Carlo. There were great views from up there, but what else is new? I did not encounter a wooded major summit all day:
George Steffanos
A
thread 8/14
Even some of the knobs had open crowns. The trail down into the col between Mount Carlo and Goose Eye Mountain was tricky and steep — very hard on a played-out body. I was beginning to question my ability to make it over Goose Eye Mountain to the shelter which was tonight’s destination.
George Steffanos
A
thread 9/14
My legs felt like warm Jell-O.

I climbed steeply (of course) back out of the col to the ridge crest of Goose Eye, coming out near the westernmost of the mountain’s three summits. The sun was sinking and taking its warmth with it.
George Steffanos
A
thread 10/14
The invigorating bite which had enlivened the air all day was degenerating into a numbing chill.

On the other hand, the entire span of ridge crest between the west and east peaks was rocky and open, with continual panoramic views.
George Steffanos
A
thread 11/14
I descended into a low sag and climbed over smooth, vertical rock ledges to the east peak. Goose Eye was the scenic highlight of a memorably scenic day of hiking. The ensuing mile-and-a-quarter to the north peak of the mountain were mostly above tree line along an open, boggy ridge
09:06 AM - Apr 27, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 12/14
so characteristic of the crest of the Mahoosucs. After another precipitous descent from East Peak, the Appalachian Trail traversed open rocks, scrubby peat moss bogs, and a couple of shallow, wooded canyons before making an easy, gradual ascent along the ridge to North Peak.
09:06 AM - Apr 27, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 13/14
Thanks, I needed that.

I did not need the final steep descent of the day, climbing down off that open, rocky summit into a wooded col,
09:07 AM - Apr 27, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 14/14
but on the floor of that col was Full Goose Shelter, my home for tonight.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffano...
09:07 AM - Apr 27, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}