Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 1/4
I'm going full knife sharpening nerd. Punt now if that's not your cup-o-tea.

I obsess with having sharp knives. I'm pretty good with a ceramic stone. I have a precision kit where I can set the angle accurately, but it's a massive pain. I can get pretty sharp with those. I had been hearing about
03:34 PM - Apr 27, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 2/4
paper wheel sharpeners and I just inherited my father's setup. That's what's shown in the picture. There are two compressed paper wheels. One has a 180 grit glued on and embedded in wax. The other has a slotted honing wheel that you 'charge' with a rouge block. Basically, put a super fine grit on it
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 3/4
Once I got a feel for how to get the sharpening angle right, I went to town. I sharpened my whole set of Global kitchen knives, 10 in total, in about 10% of the time I needed previously. I also got them scalpel-sharp. Way better than before. So if you sharpen your own knives, this is
03:34 PM - Apr 27, 2024 (Edited)
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 4/4
an option to consider. I cook a lot and having professional knives properly sharpened is like breathing for me, so this is a huge discovery.
TheQuietOne
A
Back in the days when I sharpened wood chisels and plane irons I finished them off with a buffing wheel and jeweler's rouge. They were wicked sharp.
In response to Bob - Garden is Life.
03:51 PM - Apr 27, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to TheQuietOne.
That buffing wheel with the rouge does seem to be the magic step. It seems unless you have dings in your blade or it has become ridiculously dull, the buffing wheel alone is enough to restore a perfect edge. My BIL does that with his fish filet knives. Just touch them up once every few uses.
03:57 PM - Apr 27, 2024
TheQuietOne
A
In response to Bob - Garden is Life.
So true. I spent (wasted) so much time with water stones. When I started using jeweler's rouge, it was like finding the holy grail.
04:00 PM - Apr 27, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}