George Steffanos
A
thread 1/6
September 14, 1983: A note at Speck Pond Shelter informed me that Frye Notch Shelter, which I had been hoping to reach tonight, was still under construction and presently lacked a roof.
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #Maine #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
08:44 AM - Apr 28, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/6
I was not going to make it there, anyway.

I began another steep climb up the ridge to Old Speck, dragging myself over some exceptionally excruciating, sheer ledges near the top. They completed the hatchet job on my legs.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/6
I passed up the quarter-mile side trail to the actual summit and began the interminable descent into Grafton Notch. The trail down was a recent AT relocation. It wasn’t very good, but the trail which it had replaced was reputed to be awful. For the most part, it was walkable, though steep.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/6
I descended through a blur of pain and fatigue, finally coming out of the woods at the crossing of Maine 26 — the two-lane paved highway which passes through Grafton Notch.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/6
This marked the end of the Mahoosuc Range and the end of the White Mountains.

From my book Then the Hail Came (A Humorous and Truthful Account of a 1983 #AppalachianTrail Thru-hike). Available in paperback, audiobook and eBook: https://amazon.com/dp/B09Q...
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/6
You can read or listen to my book for free if you are a Kindle Unlimited (eBook) or an Audible Plus (audiobook) subscriber. Both of these options are available from Amazon, where the paperback, eBook or audiobook can also be purchased.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}