David J. Fielding
A
thread 1/3
One aspect of modern takes on The Batman & almost all 'super' powered people films these days is the concentration on "action". Brutal physical fights, flashy choreography, explosions - where the solution to everything is to punch it in the face.
I wish they'd do more with how The Batman uses...
09:19 AM - Apr 28, 2024
David J. Fielding
A
thread 2/3
darkness and shadows to freak criminals out. We should be able to see him infiltrate a gangster's home, cornering them alone in a room and just the sheer eeriness of this cloaked, masked monster appears from out of nowhere and terrifies them rather than pummeling them half to death.
David J. Fielding
A
thread 3/3
Matt Reeves' take (2022) starts with this take, but things still devolve into fierce MMA matches, because I guess audiences are so used to that now, or producers insist on it because they fear people/fans will walk out if Batman doesn't break bones or blow things up with the Batmobile.
Jeremy Robinson
A
In response to David J. Fielding.
Absolutely! I'm so tired of seeing a hero touted as a "master tactician" solve the "it's probably a trap" problem by walking into it and punching people in the face.
03:42 PM - Apr 28, 2024
Milo Velimirović
A
In response to David J. Fielding.
It's not a new phenomenon. When I went to see District 9 in its theatrical release the scene that stood out as being out of place was the fight scene towards the end. Reaching back even further, the same thing happened near the end of An American Werewolf in London, including a demolition derby.
09:27 AM - Apr 28, 2024
David J. Fielding
A
In response to Milo Velimirović.
Not saying it's anything new - just dull and unimaginative at this state, for me at least. Films are structured in beats, I get that. But as I get older, they all seem the same and less thrilling.
09:29 AM - Apr 28, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}