Diana Beach
A
thread 1/4
Welp! I’ve been blocked by the “not ALL” white lady so thats that. But I do have some things to say to my own demographic so here goes. White women are often responsible for silencing or censuring the voices of BBIMP on social media platforms. I think we can all agree that to be accurate.
06:07 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Diana Beach
A
thread 2/4
What I want the “not ALL” crowd to understand is that women of color have had to endure both racism and sexism every day of their lives. It’s pervasive and it invades every component of their lives. So when they speak about it, they are more knowledgeable than we are on that subject!
Diana Beach
A
thread 3/4
It is not for us to come into that discussion and start trying to regulate their words. Even if you do it “gently”, you’re still censuring her. You are asking her to take up less space, be a little more quiet, already you’re asking her to consider your feelings more than you’ve considered hers.
Diana Beach
A
thread 4/4
If you’re worried about your feelings or the feelings of your demographic rather than the ongoing trauma to a marginalized group, you really need to do some self examination around that. Stop talking. Listen. Learn. And above all else - be respectful.
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
In response to Diana Beach.
That “not all” knee jerk reaction can be overcome with practice, and I am hopeful it will eventually go away for me. Listening is a very important skill, and I am trying to get better at it. I agree with all you have said here.
06:12 PM - Apr 29, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}