Nick
A
I think about this often. The global clusterfuck that we've seen the best part of the past decade has been deeply disappointing for new music. Why is that?
Rich OB @Richz
👇👇👇
07:47 PM - Apr 30, 2024
08:25 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Milla Mélomane
A
In response to Nick.
By 1996, most radio stations were bought up by entities like Susquehanna and Clear Channel. Live regional DJs were replaced by prerecorded shows with ad slots sold locally. Now ad delivery is the primary task of radio stations. This also means there's a homogeneous flavor to broadcasts nationally.
08:30 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Nick
A
In response to Milla Mélomane.
But there's crazy accessibility to share new sounds we've never seen before. Of course ppl think about the 60s, but what about the growth of rap and hip hop in 80s America? Or the explosion of electronic music in Thatcher's Britain carried on illegal radio stations? Where's the modern equivalent?
08:41 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Milla Mélomane
A
In response to Nick.
There are few if any pirate stations these days, & where we used to discuss/share music face to face, it's mostly done online now, so your area's concerns/politics may differ drastically from your friends in other states/countries. In a global online market, you silo your music by being too specific
08:56 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Nick
A
Ftr, I'm a child of the British rave scene spawned in the social unrest of Thatcher's Britain so that one is particularly close to my heart! The music traveled across the Atlantic with me 😉
09:22 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Milla Mélomane
A
In response to Nick.
Looks like my collection! I suspected you were a fellow music nerd. 💙
09:29 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Nick
A
Very niche music nerd, in American terms!
09:33 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Milla Mélomane
A
My primary interest is Britpop. But that includes influences of 1st wave BP (think Beatles/60s), then 80s/New Wave, then 90s-00s (think Pulp/Blur). Then there're the other things I like, from 40s early R&R, opera, early rap/hip hop, art rock, classic country (Cash/Cline), torch, swing, power pop…
In response to Nick.
10:25 PM - Apr 30, 2024 (Edited)
Nick
A
Britain has a disproportionate influence on music! Always funny to me when people think they're too cool to like the Beatles (ok, but I guarantee they're one of your favorite artist's biggest influences 🤷‍♂️) 90s britpop not my thing as such, but inescapable soundtrack to my adolescence.
10:37 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Milla Mélomane
A
In response to Nick.
I'm an unrepentant anglophile. I know people actually living there have valid complaints, but I feel right at home when I visit. So that's part of it.
10:46 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Milla Mélomane
A
In response to Nick.
It's OK not to like the Beatles if the genres they embraced aren't someone's bag, though it seems weird not to like ANYTHING they did (how?!), but claiming they "sucked" or were "overrated" means I instantly discount any other opinion about music that person might have.
10:49 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Milla Mélomane
A
…some industrial/grunge, goth, dark wave, indie pop, indie rock, alternative, world, a capella, some house/EDM, triphop, singer-songwriter, punk, protopunk, novelty, orchestral pop, ethereal, some drum and bass, funk, some soul, some jazz, electronic, dance, some musicals, big band, etc., etc.
10:34 PM - Apr 30, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}