Dolores Dace
A
thread 1/4
This is just the prayer I needed tonight (words in alt text). Bishop Deon K. Johnson is awfully young to be so wise, poetic, and joyful.
He was elected on the first ballot by both clergy and lay representatives in Nov. 2019. He was supposed to be the first gay, Black, married Episcopal Bishop
07:54 PM - May 01, 2024
Dolores Dace
A
thread 2/4
in the U. S. and was to be consecrated in April 2020. But Covid delayed that and made it a much smaller private and subdued event. Still, I had the privilege of seeing the uproarious joy in our Cathedral after much fear that clergy and laypeople, many from reddest rural Missouri, would not agree.
07:58 PM - May 01, 2024
Dolores Dace
A
thread 3/4
But the first vote was taken and he won decisively. Pandemonium ensued. We hugged, danced, cheered. Deon and his husband Jhovanny were clearly in shock. They didn’t believe it wd go that way either. Not in Missouri. Not after 12 straight white male bishops. Not after Trump won in MO. Love won.
08:03 PM - May 01, 2024
DC in the DMV
A
In response to Dolores Dace.
May God smile on this young bishop and his ministry! He now joins the distinguished ranks of such pioneers in the Episcopal Church as the late Rev. Pauli Murray (https://www.newyorker.com/... and Retired Bishop Gene Robinson who suffered anti-gay bias.
02:05 AM - May 10, 2024 (Edited)
Dolores Dace
A
In response to DC in the DMV.
Love this! Perhaps not so coincidentally, my friend who was in charge of the search committee for the 13th Bishop, Debbie Nelson-Linck, wrote a children’s book called “Pauli Murray: Shouting for the Rights of All People” in 2022.
10:02 AM - May 10, 2024
Ves Lee
A
Wow school with Obama 👍🏽
04:20 PM - May 05, 2024
Dolores Dace
A
In response to Ves Lee.
Yep. We never had class together, but several events and speakers. That pic a friend took of him his freshman year.
04:22 PM - May 05, 2024
Happy4uu&u
A
Thanks for sharing these beautiful words of hope and comfort. 💜
08:00 PM - May 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}