ChristyK
A
Another problematic lesson from ILC, the correspondence program Ontario Premier Doug Ford wants to expand, used scenes from The Big Bang Theory with an explanation that Autistic individuals have poor body language skills and then asked the students to do a video with good body language. Grr #onpoli
10:46 AM - Mar 15, 2023
Tuesday
A
In response to ChristyK.
Me again. So, one would think they are following the ON Ed curriculum. So, I’m wondering what course is this? In my experience if a teacher in a classroom in the ON Ed system did that lesson there would be hell to pay. This is outrageous!
01:53 PM - Mar 15, 2023 (Edited)
ChristyK
A
In response to Tuesday.
It was the 'public speaking' section of a language arts course, and we wouldn't have minded him doing a video if they didn't introduce it with the ableist nonsense about Autism. I wrote and told the staff there why he wouldn't do it, and they exempted him from that activity.
03:19 PM - Mar 15, 2023
Tracy Millar
A
This is ridiculous, as a parent of a child with ASD, this is not ok!
In response to ChristyK.
09:50 AM - Mar 16, 2023
ChristyK
A
In response to Tracy Millar.
My teens are ASD. I wrote and explained why I objected to that and was able to get my child exempt from doing that particular assignment, but that didn't reduce my anger. I wanted him to have to do public speaking. I just didn't want him to be exposed to hateful stuff about ASD.
09:52 AM - Mar 16, 2023
Tracy Millar
A
In response to ChristyK.
I'm so glad that you got the exemption. I just don't understand why they are using these diagnoses as assignment material. It is going to create more stigmas 😡
09:56 AM - Mar 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}