George Steffanos
A
thread 1/5
May 2, 1983, 41 years ago today: I woke up to the sound of freight trains. One after another, they came clattering up from the distant mountain range to the west,
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #Georgia #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
08:44 AM - May 02, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/5
circled the woods around my tent, and churned off toward the eastern horizon. My tent was pitched in a small, grassy clearing on the summit of Frosty Mountain in the Blue Ridge Mountains of northern Georgia.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/5
The freight trains turned out to be the wind — raging furiously across a valley, swirling around the mountain, rattling through the treetops, roaring across the next valley. I lay awake for hours, listening to that lonesome, mystical sound, alone on that isolated hilltop.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/5
The end of the world. The middle of nowhere.
From my book Then the Hail Came (A Humorous and Truthful Account of a 1983 #AppalachianTrail Thru-hike). Available in paperback, audiobook and eBook: https://amazon.com/dp/B09Q...
08:45 AM - May 02, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/5
You can read or listen to my book for free if you are a Kindle Unlimited (eBook) or an Audible Plus (audiobook) subscriber. Both of these options are available from Amazon, where the paperback, eBook or audiobook can also be purchased.
08:45 AM - May 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}