Goose
A
thread 1/4
Social media gives us the chance to hear perspectives we might otherwise not see. But when people flood the airwaves with strong opinions on topics they know nothing about, the perspectives of people with valuable lived experience relevant to those topics get drowned out. It’s okay to just read.
07:39 AM - May 02, 2024 (Edited)
Goose
A
thread 2/4
As a lawyer, nothing sends me running faster than another lawyer saying, “I don’t practice in that area, but…” The advice that comes next is ALWAYS legal malpractice. Anyone competent knows that when you encounter things outside your experience, you admit it, and shut your ignorant face.
07:39 AM - May 02, 2024
Goose
A
thread 3/4
But one of the worst things about social media, consistently and across every platform, is that the ease of sharing our voice makes us start to think we need to do that in every conversation, regardless of whether we have anything relevant or valuable to say.
Goose
A
thread 4/4
That’s not to say we shouldn’t boost the voices of people speaking from actual lived experience on topics. We should. But remember that when you add your hot takes on topics solely because you like to be a part of the conversation, it takes focus away from the people who really need to be heard.
T. Naught
A
well said.

my sputtering wit suggests there’s some cute remark to make here about “not all waterfowl…” but … it’s got no follow through.

so, yeah … nicely put. 💯
In response to Goose.
08:51 AM - May 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}