ammar1811
A
Good lord! Biden is calling "Intifada" hate speech? Seriously? It literally means "uprising" or "shaking off" and has zero racial connotations. Whoever is advising Biden must be a Netenyahu shill and should be fired. This is actually insulting to people like me.
11:36 AM - May 01, 2024
Bonnie Ivanish
A
In response to ammar1811.
In this, it's an example of "violent rhetoric" which, along with hate speech & symbols, "has no place in America."
I must say I agree completely, that any form of violence & hate as a means of protest is not acceptable. It accomplishes nothing except to accelerate tensions & incite more of the same.
12:04 PM - May 01, 2024
ammar1811
A
In response to Bonnie Ivanish.
It is not violent rhetoric. I'm a native Arabic speaker and this is an example of non Arabic speakers hijacking our language to make things sound "scary". Looks like it worked.
12:10 PM - May 01, 2024
Bonnie Ivanish
A
Difference of interpretation, perhaps.
However, you just posted that it means "uprising," which in English is a synonym for revolt, rebellion, etc., or per Merriam-Webster: "a usually localized act of popular violence in defiance usually of an established government." The hijacking is your doing.
12:39 PM - May 01, 2024
ammar1811
A
It's not "interpretation". It is literally my freaking language. You don't get to tell me how my language works. Here's some examples of its use. I guess you would have been against the Jews in Warsaw having an uprising. If not for genocide, then for what?
12:54 PM - May 01, 2024
Bonnie Ivanish
A
Of course not. An oppressed people has the right. Context is everything. An intifida (uprising) in the right time & place, justified. A peaceful protest here in moral support, appropriate. An uprising here & using "Intifada" as a rallying phrase, both of which incite violence, NOT APPROPRIATE.
05:34 PM - May 01, 2024
ammar1811
A
Respectfully, the only violence that's seen and documented has been from the police and the pro genocide goons in places like LA who came with sticks and fireworks screening "Nakba now", "I hope you get ra**d", and wearing "kill them all" tshirts. The "Intifada" folks the WH mentioned, peaceful.
11:28 PM - May 01, 2024
Bonnie Ivanish
A
1/Biden's statement regarding violence was in regard to protestors' takeover actions of vandalism & violence at Hamilton Hall at Columbia. It moved from peaceful protest to create an atmosphere meant to intimidate Jewish students & others, threatening safety & disrupting university functioning.
03:31 AM - May 02, 2024
ammar1811
A
Police arrested anti genocide Jewish students holding a Seder. As far as I've seen those were the students actually being intimidated. I've also seen a lot of videos where pro genocide students calling the police like Central Park Karen claiming to be in danger while they weren't.
04:33 AM - May 02, 2024
Bonnie Ivanish
A
I only saw interviews with Jewish students at Columbia on their way to classes (2), where they were abused verbally on camera By whom, I don't know. They weren't even involved in any way, so I can see the school protecting the safety of them, faculty, etc., but I worry about the clashes with police.
10:10 AM - May 02, 2024
ammar1811
A
Yes, no one should be harassed just going about their business. But understand, a large portion of the anti genocide protesters are Jewish students who are upholding a great tradition of standing up for justice like in the civil rights era, something the media is bad at reporting.
10:18 AM - May 02, 2024
Bonnie Ivanish
A
They are to be admired for that stance and media needs to cover this more prominently, no question.
10:21 AM - May 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}