Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 1/5
Some musings about campus protests:
College protests always have a mix of people.
Committed campus activists, kids caught up in excitement, lookie-loos, faculty, factions, outsiders who are pro-cause, outsiders aligned with law enforcement who are monitoring, CoInTelPro types trying to incite.
01:50 PM - May 02, 2024
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 2/5
There are counter demonstrators, real or cosplay, groups trying to infiltrate. Then there are tons of the pissed off:
Students & staff totally aggravated by the disruption, parents worried about their kids, neighbors tired of drumbeats & police presence.
All of this is a volatile mix.
01:50 PM - May 02, 2024 (Edited)
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 3/5
I haven’t begun to list those trying to exploit the situation from local & national politicians to foreign adversaries. There is Always an opp, there are always well-meaning youth, there are always people playing “more radical than you” “no compromise” “we won’t back down”. It becomes performative.
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 4/5
It’s important to recognize that these situations have built-in flash points and that we need to empathize & understand this will not be easy to get through. I’m speaking as a veteran Vietnam War protestor whose nephew was an early important organizer of Occupy Wall Street. Be compassionate.
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 5/5
The situation is complicated. Back in the day we had Teach-Ins to try to educate campus about the issues. I’m afraid that the tangled history of the Middle East, plus anti-Semitism & anti-Muslim sentiment multiplied by misinformation and disinformation makes this even harder to unpack. Be kind.
01:55 PM - May 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}