Salma Typhii
A
And there is always someone, usually a young cis het white male, who shows up itching for a fight and trying to provoke it because they really want an excuse to hit someone. Wish they'd go to therapy instead
Ground Control @MrTCB15
A primer on campus protests of any kind.

TL;DR The situation on these are way more complex than either idealists or cynics want to believe.
02:43 PM - May 02, 2024
02:46 PM - May 02, 2024
Doug Says…
A
In response to Salma Typhii.
Categorizing people is designed bigotry.

Young, cis, heterosexual, white, male.

You could be absolutely right for all I know or care. But, what I see these days is everyone categorizing others for their own purposes. Just wanted to make a point.

We are all just people.
05:18 PM - May 02, 2024 (Edited)
RA
A
In response to Doug Says….
We cannot address power dynamics without identifying the groups who have more power and the groups who have less power.

When we live in a system built to advantage cis, white men, treating everyone "the same" just maintains their power; it doesn't level the playing field.
05:24 PM - May 02, 2024
Doug Says…
A
In response to RA.
Suppositions are often erroneous.

When someone opposes your viewpoint, do you first consider their age, gender, colour, sexual preferences, etc., or do you consider their words?

On one hand people claim they all want to be included, then immediately slot others into categories. Bigotry ensues.
06:37 PM - May 02, 2024
RA
A
Yeah, no. This is some real "I don't see color" BS. You don't get to tell marginalized people how to respond to their oppressors.
06:39 PM - May 02, 2024
Doug Says…
A
In response to RA.
It’s tough going through life as a 70 year old, cis, heterosexual, white, male when people with your outlook automatically treat me as the enemy, because of the way I was born.
06:55 PM - May 02, 2024
RA
A
No one is treating you as the enemy because of how you were born, although I am now considering it because of how I have seen you act. You are not the victim here, and the fact that you can't see that is why you are part of the problem.
07:03 PM - May 02, 2024
Doug Says…
A
In response to RA.
You made my point. Thanks.

The OP surmised that the problems would likely be caused by someone with certain characteristics. That’s not cool.

And no, you have not seen me act. You have read some of my words, is all.

Good night.
07:12 PM - May 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}