Gary Gegan
A
thread 1/5
My experience at Santa Rita after being arrested at a protest 50+ years ago was any defiance was met with absolute brutality and humiliation. The guards prevented us from sleeping for 3 days, beat us severely without cause, denied us food, water and bathrooms. We stumbled out of there like zombies.
07:51 PM - May 02, 2024
Gary Gegan
A
thread 2/5
When we arrived at the jail we had to lay face down on the burning asphalt in the yard without moving for hours. Those in T shirts and shorts suffered burns. Pretty much everybody pissed themselves and then had to wear those clothes for three days, but asking to go to the bathroom earned you a bea
08:12 PM - May 02, 2024 (Edited)
Gary Gegan
A
thread 3/5
Hopefully those arrested in the Gaza protests won't go through that, but I suspect that there are going to be a lot of them who will have their concept of reality and their belief in their own invulnerability shattered. That's what happened to me.
08:24 PM - May 02, 2024 (Edited)
Gary Gegan
A
thread 4/5
The method was always the same. First they beat you to the ground with clubs and then kicked you with their boots until they got tired and you were quivering and whimpering in fetal position. Several people left with fewer teeth than they started with.
08:40 PM - May 02, 2024
Gary Gegan
A
thread 5/5
Sorry to be so graphic, but I haven't even thought about it for years and today it's all flooding back into my consciousness. Thanks for letting me purge.
08:43 PM - May 02, 2024
Gary Gegan
A
In response to Gary Gegan.
They kept us in barracks with bunk beds. When guards entered (every 15 minutes) we were required to be standing at attention at the foot of the bed and it had to be perfectly made with military corners or else you were beaten. Anyone in the bathroom was beaten.
08:00 PM - May 02, 2024
Adele Not the singer
A
In response to Gary Gegan.
That’s exactly what I had heard 😞
07:52 PM - May 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}