George Steffanos
A
thread 1/5
May 3, 1983, 41 years ago today: Temperatures dropped considerably last night when the wind kicked up and stayed down today.
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #Georgia #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
08:28 AM - May 03, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/5
Rather late on a cool, damp morning, I set out from Frosty Mountain, having smoked my last two cigarettes with breakfast.

I covered the last four miles of the feeder trail, arriving at the summit of Springer Mountain just before noon.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/5
I used my camera’s self-timer to take a picture of myself standing next to the sign marking the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. Although my body was stiff and sore from yesterday, my spirits remained high. The weather soon took care of that.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/5
The wind that had rattled the treetops on and around Frosty Mountain last night was a harbinger of change. The soft, starry night of May 2 gave way to a bleak morning of lingering fog. A chill drizzle began to fall not long after I had left the summit.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/5
It hung on strong all day, occasionally intensifying into major downpours. The cold rain sapped my strength even more than all the climbing.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffano...
Aly C
A
In response to George Steffanos.
beautiful photos at your website, George. I am going to look up your book on Audible. 🙂
08:34 AM - May 03, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}