George Steffanos
A
thread 1/6
May 3, 1983, 41 years ago today: At a spot called Three Forks, four miles from Springer Mountain, the Appalachian Trail crossed a fire road beside the convergence of three streams
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #Georgia #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
09:36 AM - May 03, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/6
which had become raging torrents. A blinding mass of rain was creating a surreal, semi-aquatic woodland. A hypnotic, monotonous pounding of water against rock and leaf and earth drowned out all other sound to create something like a loud silence.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/6
At the height of the downpour, a strange, blurry vision coalesced out of the mists and rain: an older backpacking couple hiking with a teenage blind girl being led by a reluctant cat on a leash. Conversation was next to impossible above the din of terrestrial and celestial waters.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/6
We nodded to each other, and I kept on walking. The rain curtain closed back around me, and I was alone with the falling waters and the forest. Several minutes later, I mumbled to myself, “Well, that was interesting,”
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/6
and retreated into a warm, dry corner of my subconscious as my body continued to trudge the wet, weary miles.

From my book Then the Hail Came (A Humorous and Truthful Account of a 1983 #AppalachianTrail Thru-hike). Available in paperback, audiobook and eBook: https://amazon.com/dp/B09Q...
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/6
You can read or listen to my book for free if you are a Kindle Unlimited (eBook) or an Audible Plus (audiobook) subscriber. Both of these options are available from Amazon, where the paperback, eBook or audiobook can also be purchased.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}