Anthony Lee
A
thread 1/9
Countdown to My Debut Novel Release

20 days and counting...

Doctor Lucifer by Anthony Lee will be available for sale on the websites of Amazon and Barnes & Noble starting May 24, 2024. You can preorder the ebook now.

Read this thread for today's fun facts about the book. 🙂
10:27 AM - May 04, 2024
Anthony Lee
A
thread 2/9
Besides plot and character, themes are an important element in fiction. There is satisfaction in observing and thinking about topics depicted. It can also be fascinating to decipher messages that the author wishes to convey through the story. One must not forget readers who want to dig deep.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 3/9
When it comes to medical thrillers, the themes are pretty much always topics related to medicine, healthcare delivery, clinical research, and the like. Yet, I feel there are other themes yet to be explored in depth, particularly those related to how meaningful or meaningless the job itself feels.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 4/9
I discovered that medicine in reality is not the glamorized thing people believe it is, so one theme I present in my novel is related to the unrealistic expectations that the lay public may have about doctors, which can lead to frustrations for both sides of the doctor-patient relationship.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 5/9
This leads me to think about the relationship between the world of medicine and society at large. I said before that medicine heals people for another chance in society while societal ills determine what conditions doctors treat. Imagine society being so bad that a doctor gets sour about his job.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 6/9
By having my doctor protagonist be such a cynic, I get to explore another theme, one that is much deeper: how to find meaning in a world that often feels so meaningless. This is how I believe I can appeal to readers who may not normally read medical fiction: appealing to broad human themes.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 7/9
Overall, my debut medical thriller novel and the series to follow will explore three kinds of themes all at once:

1. Medical topics
2. Societal ills
3. Human values

This is why I describe my books as a new take on the medical thriller that also features social commentary about humanity itself.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 8/9
I'm excited about the approach I am taking with my stories. By throwing Mark Lin, my cynical antihero doctor, into unusual medical situations stemming from things going on in society, I put him on a journey that takes him through the hospital, the outside world, and his own soul and makes us think.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 9/9
I have plenty of story ideas, because I explore different combinations of topics related to medicine, society, and humanity. I find it rewarding to see how those three things interact and then come up with medical thriller stories that integrate them. I hope readers will enjoy that kind of ride. 🙂

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}