George Steffanos
A
thread 1/8
May 5, 1983, 41 years ago today: After 7 miles of ups and downs, we hit a stretch of continuous climbing for the next 6. That was where I lost Dave and Russ for the remainder of the day.
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #Georgia #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
09:22 AM - May 05, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/8
Or, rather, where they lost me. It was a comparatively gentle climb for the most part, but I have a long way to go before my body is truly ready for this adventure. The day was sunny and hot, and I ran out of water about halfway through the climb. The heavy backpack I was carrying, and
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/8
the extra pounds of my overweight body had taken their toll on the soles of my feet, which felt torn and bleeding by the time I reached the end of that climb on the rocky, somewhat scrubby open summit of Blood Mountain.

The best views thus far on the trail in Georgia picked up my spirits a bit.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/8
At 4,458 feet in elevation, Blood Mountain is the highest peak on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, making it of course the highest peak thus far of my hike. Blood Mountain is part of the east fork of the Blue Ridge, which divides into two forks at Springer Mountain
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/8
where this hike officially began. Looking west, chains of slightly lower wooded mountains snaked out in all directions, filling the country between me and the western fork. Their ridge crests were cloaked in pastels from budding trees.
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/8
These heights were cut by narrow rural valleys draped in the deeper greens of late Spring.

I wanted to stop for the night at the stone shelter on top of Blood Mountain, but I was dying of thirst and there was no water.
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/8
I was left with no choice but to push on.

From my book Then the Hail Came (A Humorous and Truthful Account of a 1983 #AppalachianTrail Thru-hike). Available in paperback, audiobook and eBook: https://amazon.com/dp/B09Q...
George Steffanos
A
thread 8/8
You can read or listen to my book for free if you are a Kindle Unlimited (eBook) or an Audible Plus (audiobook) subscriber. Both of these options are available from Amazon, where the paperback, eBook or audiobook can also be purchased.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}