Anthony Lee
A
thread 1/10
Countdown to My Debut Novel Release

18 days and counting...

Doctor Lucifer by Anthony Lee will be available for sale on the websites of Amazon and Barnes & Noble starting May 24, 2024. You can preorder the ebook and B&N paperback now.

Read this thread for today's fun facts about the book. 🙂
10:22 AM - May 06, 2024
Anthony Lee
A
thread 2/10
Dr. Mark Lin, the main character of my debut medical thriller and all future installments of the series, is one hell of an angry protagonist. He functions just fine in daily life, but when he is really pushed down, he tends to look at how much humanity and society really suck in his opinion.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 3/10
I do this for two reasons:

1. There were times earlier in my life where I felt so angry because things were very unfair.

2. I want my stories to be set in today's world and reflect it. Given how the world has been going through hell in recent years, it's natural for my protagonist to be cynical.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 4/10
It is not typical for fictional characters to be this strongly critical about the world, so I did worry initially about stoking controversy because of it. To my relief, early reviewers of my book did not strongly dislike my character. They mainly liked the character even while aware of his flaws.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 5/10
Dr. Mark Lin is not a character who despises the world because circumstances prevented him from being successful. Rather, he is very successful careerwise, but the world doesn't seem to care about that. Maybe society is envious of such people and despise them rather than see them as inspiration.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 6/10
My early life involved focusing on academics first and foremost while considering a social life to come second, if I even bothered to have one. This largely comes from being raised by a traditional Asian parent placing education first, something that mainstream society may not fully understand.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 7/10
In high school and college, it felt like I could only pick one of two paths. Either I excel in school while being a loner or be a social butterfly while struggling academically. I chose the former. While I am glad I chose that, I was bitter that not everyone saw things the same way I did.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 8/10
When writers are told to write what you know, well, this is what I know.

When writers are told to develop a character based on experiences, well, this is what I know.

It is natural for me to create Dr. Mark Lin as an intelligent but cynical physician because, well, this is what I know.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 9/10
I chose not to practice medicine as expected because it's not the job I thought it was. I also created Dr. Mark Lin as a bitter physician because I asked myself what would happen if I were to spend my career doing patient care and dealing with all of its stressors. I don't think I would be happy.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 10/10
In the end, I am proud of creating a character based on an early version of me. If anything, I would be happy if readers come to understand and appreciate the character, because it would be like people finally understanding and appreciating me and my early life, something I never had experienced. 🙂
Snow Girl ❄️
A
In response to Anthony Lee.
Very excited!
10:52 AM - May 06, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}