Anthony Lee
A
thread 1/6
As excited as I am about the release of my debut medical thriller novel in two and a half weeks, I must also prepare for the possibility of getting negative reviews. No person can ever expect to have 100% praise for their creations, and I'm no exception. Still, I'm trying not to worry so much.
03:37 PM - May 06, 2024
Anthony Lee
A
thread 2/6
I wrote my novel as someone who is Asian American, has seen medical doctors up close via medical training, and has experienced the dark side of both. It's a unique perspective that mainstream society may not get. The big question is how many are willing to learn about such unfamiliar experiences.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 3/6
I cannot stop people from issuing criticisms, but I can always respond with explanations that provide clarity on the experiences of both Asian Americans and medical doctors. It's not like I put no thought into my book, because I definitely did, based on rough life experiences I remember so well.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 4/6
One might dislike my book because my doctor protagonist is too flawed. But here's the thing: many doctor protagonists in medical thrillers seem too good, which makes it less interesting. Besides, how can I write about an idealistic doctor when my experiences and observations are so far from that?
Anthony Lee
A
thread 5/6
I also take an approach that is different from many authors. With my main character, my goal wasn't to make him likable, but rather to make him complex so that one may still be curious about what he does next, as flawed as he is. Sure, likability and curiosity go hand in hand, but it's not so solid.
Anthony Lee
A
thread 6/6
Anyway, no matter what happens, I stand by what I have written and I have my reasons for it no matter if one agrees or not. In the end, I will take criticisms into account as best as I can, while focusing more on the readers who do enjoy my story. After all, I've gotten nine good reviews already. 🙂

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}