Elle Cohen
A
thread 1/5
I have this very vivid memory from about 10 minutes before my thyroid cancer surgery. The best anesthesiologist in the world came over and said “Time to start the good drugs” and I was instantly incredibly high. The memory is called a pathological memory and is caused (in some people) by opioids.
07:21 AM - May 08, 2024 (Edited)
Elle Cohen
A
thread 2/5
I have this surgery twice. The first time I don’t remember anything. The second time is a hyper clear memory. I suppose they didn’t give me something to block my memory and I’m pretty happy they didn’t bc it was a wild ten minutes.
07:21 AM - May 08, 2024
Elle Cohen
A
thread 3/5
You want to be wheeled into a surgical room and think “wow, this room is just filled with love, everything is totally cool” meanwhile there was this observer part of my brain (the hippocampus) taking some notes. This is what is really wild about it. “ this is so fucked up right now.
Elle Cohen
A
thread 4/5
But imma just sit back and see what happens “ at some point they put me under just as fast without a countdown and I woke up hours later with a soar throat and soar ribs from the intubation. I can very well see how this stuff is incredibly addictive. The memory is part of the addictive process.
07:21 AM - May 08, 2024 (Edited)
Elle Cohen
A
thread 5/5
Brains and pharmacology are wild. I think about this memory all the time. It was fifteen years ago and is still so clear. And that hasn’t been my experience of being high (not that there is an extensive experience) . Thanks anesthesiologist for making what was decidedly not a fun day a good trip.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}