George Steffanos
A
thread 1/10
May 9, 1983, 41 years ago today: Dicks Creek Cap in Georgia is the point where the Appalachian Trail crosses a lonely stretch of US 76 less than nine AT miles from the North Carolina border.
#backpacking #hiking #outdoors #landscapephotography #Georgia #nature #forest #mountains #AppalachianTrail
08:42 AM - May 09, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/10
My tent was pitched in the woods just past the gap. A few feet away was a roadside picnic area beside US 76 where I could make and eat dinner and breakfast in style.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/10
Last night while my supper was cooking on a picnic table, a backpacker came stumbling across the road: Dave. It seems that he got a very late start yesterday morning, trying to wait out the rain, and I passed the side trail to Montray Shelter before he had set out.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/10
It appears I will have some company again for a while, after all — if my toe and I can keep up.

We made camp a short distance from the roadside. A blaze of light woke us up at about 1:00 in the morning.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/10
A car was parked in the picnic area facing the woods around our tents and people were thrashing around at the edge of the parking area. We met the car’s occupants when we made our breakfasts in the picnic area this morning.
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/10
Two guys had become lost on the roads and found themselves driving in circles through the mountains. They saw the picnic area, drove in, set up a tent by the light of their car’s high beams, and then decided they would rather sleep in the car. Sounds like they had a pretty good buzz going.
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/10
I awoke this morning at first light. The temperature had dropped down to near freezing and the breeze had died. A heavy, gelid mist hung suspended in the still, frosty air. Like most of the forests through which I passed in Georgia’s Blue Ridge,
George Steffanos
A
thread 8/10
this one was a maze of vines and creepers draping down from gnarled, moss-covered trees. I was an alien from a far distant country called New England. The cries of strange birds filled the air.

I was less than one hundred yards from a road, yet it was an intensely primeval setting.
George Steffanos
A
thread 9/10
The sun quickly burned off the fog as I began hiking.

From my book Then the Hail Came (A Humorous and Truthful Account of a 1983 #AppalachianTrail Thru-hike). Available in paperback, audiobook and eBook: https://amazon.com/dp/B09QFG4ZR6
George Steffanos
A
thread 10/10
You can read or listen to my book for free if you are a Kindle Unlimited (eBook) or an Audible Plus (audiobook) subscriber. Both of these options are available from Amazon, where the paperback, eBook or audiobook can also be purchased.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}