Honey and pepper and roses en déshabillé
A
thread 1/5
I keep seeing that meme that says many things, including "Men know when they are raping someone" and it is sticking in my head.
09:29 AM - May 10, 2024
A
thread 2/5
The thing about entitlement - and rape culture - is that: no. Men *don't* always know when they are raping someone. They are so accustomed to believing desire is justification that they either don't comprehend the personhood of the person they rape, or they can't imagine dissent to what they want.
A
thread 3/5
We also have a deep culture, and this I believe is worldwide, but it's uniquely troublesome in American pop culture, with centuries-long traditions of horrifying relationship modeling. Stalking is "love" - persistence is heroic - dominance is sexy - and on and on.
A
thread 4/5
It's the entire root of cishet relationship dynamics - "be a man" being the ultimate goal AND justification. But it's not just for us.

Obsession, in particular, is treated as the ultimate - as not merely acceptable, but as the pinnacle of romantic expression.
A
thread 5/5
The blurred definition of, understanding of, and acknowledgement of rape helps to uphold rape culture, white supremacy, all of it.

Women have to be apologists. Men have to be kept unaware of what rape even *is*. They can't see themselves as rapists or none of it would work.
09:29 AM - May 10, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}