George Steffanos
A
thread 1/9
May 11, 1983, 41 years ago today: They dropped me off at the local Hardee’s. When the smoke had cleared, my stomach was the happy new owner of two quarter-pound cheeseburgers, a large order of fries,
#backpacking #hiking #landscapephotography #NorthCarolina #AppalachianTrail
09:57 AM - May 11, 2024
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/9
and a chocolate milk shake. Back outside, the world was all rosy and my stomach had shut up for the first time in days. I bumped into Dave walking down the street, and we decided to get a room in town tonight, seeing as how we were both already here.
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/9
A local resident told us about a motel owned by an elderly lady who was partial to hikers, so we went over there to check it out. She told us she would give us a room for twelve dollars if we wanted to share a bed, or we could pay fourteen dollars for two beds.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/9
I laughed and said to Dave, “I don’t know about you, but I think I’ll go the extra dollar.”

It was 10:00 when I finished shopping. The streets were deserted except for me and some crickets. The store had been the only business in town still open, and it was just closing.
George Steffanos
A
thread 5/9
I stopped to buy a coke from something labeled “Talking Vending Machine.”

Dropping my coins in the slot, I was treated to the tinkling notes of a music box playing the song “Home on the Range.”
George Steffanos
A
thread 6/9
The voice sounded like Carlton the Doorman on the T.V. show “Rhoda.”

“Thank you for choosing the Talking Vending Machine. Please make your selection.”

I obtained my coke, the machine thanked me again, and I said, “You’re welcome.”
George Steffanos
A
thread 7/9
The Appalachian Trail is a universe unto itself. Turning away from 1983 cutting-edge soft drink vending technology, I returned to the slumbering streets of a backwater mountain town. Strolling back to Henry’s Motel, I mused upon the strange variety of experience
George Steffanos
A
thread 8/9
which the journey had already provided. I had been out for ten days. It is a weird and wonderful trail.

From my book Then the Hail Came (A Humorous and Truthful Account of a 1983 #AppalachianTrail Thru-hike). Available in paperback, audiobook and eBook: https://amazon.com/dp/B09QFG4ZR6
George Steffanos
A
thread 9/9
You can read or listen to my book for free if you are a Kindle Unlimited eBook or an Audible Plus audiobook subscriber. More about my audiobook just below. Both of these options are available from Amazon, where the paperback, eBook or audiobook can also be purchased.
Donna Lynn
A
In response to George Steffanos.
'Home on the Range' As a 12-year-old, I would sing this song to sleep many a nights.
10:14 AM - May 11, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}