eanybean
A
thread 1/5
My mother was a single parent, raising my two sisters and me from elementary school age. She loved us and fought hard to raise us with pride and dignity, but she had no time for nonsense.

As a young boy without a father figure around, I sometimes got strange ideas, like thinking cussing was cool.
01:39 PM - May 12, 2024
eanybean
A
thread 2/5
She was very politely spoken and my behaviour was out of character for our family. She told me it was wrong to talk that way, but I wouldn't listen.

Parent-teacher review came around at school, and she'd had an altercation with me about my behaviour that day. We went up to the first teacher.
01:43 PM - May 12, 2024
eanybean
A
thread 3/5
Mum greeted them warmly and the teacher started giving positive feedback on my schoolwork. Mum smiled, turned to me and said "Well aren't you the clever little bastard? I'm so fucking proud of you."

I felt utterly mortified that she would speak like that in front of my teacher. I wanted the ground
01:47 PM - May 12, 2024
eanybean
A
thread 4/5
to swallow me up. I went red and sank down in my chair. The teacher took it in their stride. I guess they must see all sorts. Mum continued to curse throughout that first interview.

While we waited to see the next teacher, I begged and pleaded with her not to talk that way to them. I felt so
01:50 PM - May 12, 2024
eanybean
A
thread 5/5
embarrassed and ashamed. She said "So now you know how I feel. Let's do a deal. I won't curse and swear anymore if you don't. Is that okay with you?"

I agreed immediately. And I stuck to it. I learned my lesson that day.

She loved me enough to debase herself to make me be better.

Thanks, Mum
01:54 PM - May 12, 2024

Only followers of this user (Happy4uuu) can see their posts

Dıanna
A
In response to eanybean.
A+ level parenting!
👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾
06:48 PM - May 12, 2024
John S
A
In response to eanybean.
Smart mom. I love it!
06:18 PM - May 12, 2024
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to eanybean.
Wow. How old were you?
03:59 PM - May 12, 2024
eanybean
A
In response to DrMHasOpinions.
I'm guessing 11 or 12 at that point. Not 100% sure.
04:13 PM - May 12, 2024
Kathleen Rupnow
A
In response to eanybean.
I, too, was a single mom of three for a bit. My oldest was always well-behaved. One evening his teacher called worried that he was following the lead of someone who would get him into trouble. Me to my son: "If you want to be an asshole that is easy. To be better is difficult. It's up to you."
03:51 PM - May 12, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}